1.8 Towards an OA Policy Framework
You already know that there are different OA mandates at different levels –institutional, funders and in some cases national. As a library professional you are mainly concerned with the institutional level OA mandate or OA policy. An institutional OA policy should have following components and respective authority needs to take decision on each of these important issues related to the OA policy of the institute. Table 3.2 identifies the design of institutional OA policy.
Stuart Shieber and Peter Suber has developed a guide to good practices11for university open-access (OA) policies (2012),based on the type of policy adopted at several institutions.
Go through the recommendations of these major mandates to prepare an institutional open access policy:
- Harvard University: Faculty of Arts and Sciences
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) http://www.pubmedcentral.gov/
- Research Councils United Kingdom (RCUK)
- US White House Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP)
- European Commission
- UNESCO worldwide list of funders’ mandate