2.6 Integration of open contents and library resources
Web 2.0 tools are increasingly applied in OA content dissemination services all over the world for achieving interactive, collaborative and participative architecture in content retrieval. The software tools and services, which are making the dream of interactive OA retrieval a reality, may be categorized into four major groups (not entirely mutually exclusive):
The Read/Write Web Component: Tools that are leveraging read/write Web include blogs, RSS (Really Simple Syndication or Rich Site Summary), online storage and sharing tools (such as MySpace, Facebook, YouTube, Podcasts) etc.
Social Networking Component: Social networking component includes tools that support community communication and interaction in digital environment. Tools such as instant messaging, discussion forum, event listing (chronological and upcoming), Flickr, Jumpcut etc. are enhancing online socialization through community oriented communication and interaction (Birdsall, 2005).
Collective Intelligence Support Component: Wikis are currently most popular tools for collaborative knowledge sharing, and the best-known example is Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.com/wiki/). Other tools such as LibraryThing, PaperBackSwap Second Life, Digg, Technorati, Folksonomy, Social bookmarking, Amazon services are also facilitating the collective wisdom movement in the next generation Web.
Information Mashups Component: Information mashups tools allow remixing of data, technologies or services from different online sources to create new hybrid services through lightweight application programming interface (API). An OA content management system must take into account the use of Web 2. 0 tools for better user services and management of OA system. Data shows that the use of RSS is the most popular Web 2.0 application in OA retrieval (possibly the use of RSS as automatic alerting service for updated contents makes it very useful support tool in OA retrieval) and social bookmarking occupies the next position (again because of scholarly reasons). The other useful Web 2.0 tools are social networking tools (Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube) and collaborative tools (like Blog, Flicker, Podcasting). In a total of 1,412 accessible repositories (in 1977 total listed repositories as listed in openDOAR), 57 percent (804 number of repositories) applied Web 2.0 tools and the remaining 43 percent (608 number of repositories) have not yet applied Web 2.0 tools.